Monday, November 12, 2007

Gold Rush 24 hour Challenge Redux

A year ago this weekend I raced in my first 24-hour adventure race, the Gold Rush 24 Hour Challenge. I wrote about it in great and boring detail here, and one of the things I wrote was "it was UNBELIEVABLY fun and i fully plan to win one at some point."

Last weekend my team and I won this year's edition of the race. I'll write a full report later, but here are a few random items from the race.

  • The race started at 8:00 a.m. and it rained from 8:00 that evening to 8:00 the next morning

  • We got lost 3 times

  • I crashed my bike twice

  • The second running section took us 9 hours and was gorgeous

  • Checkpoint 1 was in the wrong place (everyone found it)

  • Checkpoint 16b was in the wrong place (no one found it)

  • Out of the 21 teams who started the race only 2 finished the whole course and only 3 crossed the finish line

  • We won by less than 20 minutes

  • We saw a deer swimming across the lake while we were kayaking

  • It took us 27 hours



What I ate:

  • 7 Dole fruit cups

  • 1 can of Campbell's chicken Noodle soup

  • 2 cheese and butter sandwiches

  • 1 PBJ

  • 8 small boiled potatoes with salt

  • 3 Lara bars

  • 1/2 a Clif bar

  • 4 packages of Clif Bloks

  • 3 Pringles Snack Packs (regular flavor)

  • 1 Twix

  • 1 Starbucks Frappacinno (the kind in the bottle)

  • 1 can of Pepsi

  • 2 slices of pizza

  • Approx. 5 liters of water

  • 40 oz. of Conquest

  • 1 cup of hot chocolate


Edit: full report is here

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home