Sunday, February 12, 2006

neener neener neeee-ner!

it's sunny and about 65 degrees out, i just got back from a bike ride, stuffed a bunch of food in my face, and am going out for another ride with j.

meanwhile, there's two feet of snow on the ground in new york.

i like california.

UPDATE: so, on my way back home from the second ride i got in an accident. i was on a bike path that crosses a street at one point (the panhandle one, where it crosses masonic), and had sped up so i could make the light.

i was in the middle of the crosswalk, with 2 seconds on the countdown timer, and a subaru outback in the far-right line edged into the crosswalk, leaving me nowhere to go.

i didn't even have time to yell; i slammed on the brakes, and somehow the bike slewed to the left, so that when i hit the front quarter-panel of the car i was mostly parallel to it.

this turned out to be a good thing, since my hip and shoulder, (and a little bit of my hand) took the brunt of the impact, and saved me from going head-first over the hood.

the woman driving was totally aplogetic, j. was a little freaked, and everyone who saw it (including the driver and her passengers) agreed that it was completely her fault.

the upshot is that i'm a little banged up, but nothing major so far, my bike is a little dinged up, but i'll take it to the shop on tuesday to get a full dx, and i'm drinking a beer.

3 Comments:

At 7:53 AM, Blogger Mike said...

That's scary shit! I'm glad to hear you're ok though. I think it's time to give up this silly biking hobby and stick to running.

 
At 9:44 PM, Blogger Manduca said...

Uh, yikes! You were the cool coper, Mr. Roper. Sounds scary to us mortal types. And who is this Mike guy? You are crazy runner too! Is the driver going to pay for any repairs? Glad you're OK - beer is good.

 
At 9:47 AM, Blogger dolface said...

yeah, she's gonna pay for repairs, and she's called me twice in the days since the accident to make sure i'm ok.

mike is a crazy runner too, he's just heckling me. his blog is funnier than mine, i recommend it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home